Narbonne House
Salem, MA
c. 1670
Salem Maritime National Historic Site

"The part of the house with the high peaked roof was built by butcher Thomas Ives in 1675. Ives added a lean-to to the south side of the house and a kitchen lean-to to the back of the house. After his death the house was sold to Simon Willard, who around 1740 replaced the southern lean-to with the gambrel-roofed addition that stands today. From 1750 to 1780, the house was owned by Capt. Joseph Hodges, and in 1780 the house was purchased by tanner Jonathan Andrew. The house was lived in by descendents of the Andrew family from 1780 to 1964, when the house was sold to the National Park Service. The Narbonne House (named for Andrew's great-niece Sarah Narbonne, who lived in the house from 1823 to 1890 and her daughter Mary, who lived here until 1905) is a remarkable example of a middle-class home of the 17th and 18th centuries."

Quoted from the Salem Maritime National Historic Site website: http://www.nps.gov/sama